Friday, December 4, 2009

The Driving...

There is much to be said about drivers in Ukraine. Much that would terrify and bewilder you. But, I feel that I should give you the reality of the situation so that you know the truth.

While it appears that people here are out of their minds and desire to come within an inch of their lives, in truth they are brilliant and skilled. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I wish us to change the way things are done at home. By no means! Most of us lack the skill to be capable of such things. But here, where all drivers learn this way from the start there is something to be said. I do not care for the lack of seatbelts and the wearing of them. I will give you that. But when I am in the car and it takes until reaching nearly 140 KPM (nearly 87 MPH), that says something. I am a fearful passenger at home, pushing that invisible passenger brake every five minutes...but here, I am content to sit and look out the window while the driver pushes and shoves his was around with his vehicle like nobody's business. Here, I don't reach nervous very often. Here I reamin calm while they drive in a way that I would be screaming at home.

On second thought, I'm not sure it's the driver at all. I might be all on someone else. My fear being released and a calm state taking over... like an peace that makes no sense. Like a peace that surpasses all understanding ;-).

Yep, I will give credit where credit is due. Lord, thank you. Thank you for taking over and bringing peace to this normally uptight body. I couldn't make it through this trip without you. Couldn't do it on so many levels.

2 comments:

  1. That is totally a God thing, to be able to remain calm in a car over there! I remember holding my breath riding through the streets and my fac making fun of me for being so scared, lol. I agree though, they are very skilled at the madness they call driving. As crazy as they drive, I only saw one accident the whole time I was there and see them daily here, go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here, Miss Amberlyn. Proverbs 3:5,6. I totally agree with you. Beautiful sentiment. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete